[OM] Re: [OT] Getting gassed - a rant.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Getting gassed - a rant.
From: Parzival Herzog <parzp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 01:43:30 -0500
On Saturday 10 September 2005 18:34, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> So, can someone much more familiar with the "humans are causing global
> warming" argument provide me with a few references that will clearly
> dispel the notion that the current warming trend is above and beyond
> that which has occurred by natural cycles in the past.

The consensus on this is "its likely", but the data on climate change due to
human causes (chiefly greenhouse gas emissions, and land changes -
deforestation, urbanization, desertification) is just rising out of the
"noise" of natural climate variation.

As a graduate in environmental studies/geography, I have been following this
question for about 25 years, and in my opinion, whatever the cause, climate
change is here, and will come to personally visit our (curmudgeonly old)
lives a-la-Katrina long before our otherwise regularly scheduled demise. It
behooves us to do everything we can to 1) plan and prepare collectively for
disruption and dislocation; 2) to minimize any possible further human
contribution to making the situation worse, especially for future
generations; and 3) meet the interesting times we are privileged to live in
with community, solidarity, compassion and joy rather than fear, despair,
denial, blame, defensiveness and aggression.

Here's something I do:
http://members.shaw.ca/parz/OnBikeAtNiagaraFalls-email.jpg

Directly addressing your question is:
http://www.ipcc.ch/pub/wg1TARtechsum.pdf