[OM] Re: [OT] Getting gassed - a rant.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Getting gassed - a rant.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:34:19 -0400
Chris Barker wrote:

> And I am not sure that there is enough evidence in that article of
> global warming ... some people take a lot of convincing ;-).

An honest question not intended to invoke an argument so reply off list
if desired.  I haven't paid much attention to the global warming
literature in years so seek some info.

I agree there's obvious evidence of glacial retreat over the past
century and it seems obvious that increasing average temperature is at
fault.  However, the earth has gone through numerous glaciation cycles
in its history (about every 30,000 years or about equal to the earth's
precession cycle if memory serves me correctly) and it also apparently
has gone through lesser warming and cooling cycles (eg; "The Little Ice
Age" circa the middle ages) prior to man's activities being of
sufficient magnitude to cause same.

So, can someone much more familiar with the "humans are causing global
warming" argument provide me with a few references that will clearly
dispel the notion that the current warming trend is above and beyond
that which has occurred by natural cycles in the past.  ie; since
glaciers used to cover the very spot where my house now stands and since
my house is many, many thousands of miles from the nearest glacier it is
obvious to me that glacial retreat has been going on for thousands of
years.  Also the spot where my house stands has been covered with
glaciers numerous times and retreated numerous times before man ever
entererd the picture.  What data is there to indicate that the retreat
of the past century or two is not part of the past glacial retreat or
some other natural cycle?  The last time I paid any attention to this it
seemed to me that there was great scientific argument over the validity
of satellite measurements of earth's average temperature or average sea
temperatures.  Is it known that the current average temperature of the
earth is higher than at any time in the past?  If so, how?  If not, how
do we differentiate the current condition from norms of the past?

Chuck Norcutt