[OM] Searching for balance, joy and on topic postings

Subject: [OM] Searching for balance, joy and on topic postings
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:34:44 EDT
Having been away for about 8 days, I haven't missed a great deal.  A  few
thoughts which don't exactly fit with the sewer currently floating through
this
list.

1) In the midst of doing my job, I had the opportunity today to deliver a
check from my insurance company to one of the people who is living in our
community because of the storm.  Not a heroic deed, just doing what I get  paid
do and spending a little time trying to bring some hope and comfort to
another human being.

2) Folks in the Houston area are fortunate as we are able to step up to the
plate and work with these people in their time of need.  Unlike many who  can
really only send their financial resources we are able in a more real way to
share what it is to be a human being.  Some would say we are blessed to  have
this opportunity.  Not wishing to offend anyone on the list I won't  say it .
. . and I will continue to feel it.

3) The circumstances these people and their communities find themselves in
is what is so. No "would of," "should of" or "could of" is going to change the
reality of this moment in their life.  It is difficult to feel anything
other than compassion for them.  I do.  My family and my community are
reaching
out and helping to make their lives a little easier.  What I find  most
distressing currently is the vitriolic criticism of those in  authority and the
way
people politicize this horrible natural  disaster.  That is exactly what is
currently going on with this  list.  It has no place here . . . or really any
place else.

4) This might be a good time for each of us to take a breath, take a break,
get a life and reflect on how good we each have it.  A little gratitude  goes
a long way to bringing joy into ones life.  Having to be right, to  blame
others, to take no responsibility seems to have exactly the opposite  affect.

5) Photography - oh, yes, that is what brings us together, isn't it?   If you
get the urge to say something nasty about someone or something, why don't
you go to _http://hpsonline.org_ (http://hpsonline.org)  (which I  posted this
morning) and read my president's message for September,  tell me why you do or
don't like the images I made with my Agfa Clack, why you  do or don't like
what I wrote in the newsletter or maybe even come up with  something that is on
topic to post to this list.  It might even  be nice if you can't come up with
an on topic post, to hear about what you  are grateful for today.

I hope some will accept my challenge. This ship is way off course and
sailing into a hurricane of its own. Bill  Barber