[OM] Re: Fujifilm Natura S camera; anyone here read japanese or have thi

Subject: [OM] Re: Fujifilm Natura S camera; anyone here read japanese or have this?
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:09:01 -0500
R. Jackson wrote:
> This reminded me of a conversation someone was having here on the
> list at one time about the 21mm lens (I know, I know...this is a
> 24mm...don't ask me why I was reminded) and how some prominent
> photographer had given reasons why the 21mm was the ideal focal
> length for street photography. I tried to find that in the archives,
> but couldn't. Did I imagine that or am I just bad with search engines?
>
> Cool little camera, BTW. Anyone know if there are plans to introduce
> it in the States?

I'm certain someone at some time cited the 21mm as ideal for their
street work.  You'll likely get numerous opines from 21mm through 50mm
as being ideal.  For me, it's a tradeoff between being able to work
adequately with urban street space constraints which limit working
distances and perspective control.  Perspective gets more difficult to
work with as focal length decreases.  I've used everything from 18mm to
200mm doing urban shooting, and let what I'm trying to accomplish in the
photograph dictate focal length used.

One of the most favored focal lengths by news and editorial
photographers prior to the advent of decent zoom lenses was the 35mm.
Some preferred the 28mm.  It let one get in a decently wide field of
view without requiring the careful attention to perspective that 24mm
and shorter lengths demand.

-- John Lind