[OM] Re: OT: How much should I refund this eBay buyer?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: How much should I refund this eBay buyer?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:41:17 -0700
Gary Teller wrote:

>I'd appreciate hearing/reading some opinions <big snip>
>So what do y'all think?  Am I being fair and reasonable?  Sorry for the
>long winded post.

Yes, you are being fair and reasonable. If I wre on the other end, I
would not only accept your offer, but appologize for making such a
foolish decision and causing you all that trouble.

On the there hand, this is a person who made a really silly bid and had
apparent completely unrealistic ideas about international post. So how
he will react seems unpredictable.

If it were me, I would consider pointing out the eBay fees you have
incurred and offer to split them with him, giving the feeling that this
was a joint problem that just didn't work out for both of you. Of course
it is really his fault, but sounds like he feels it is more an act of
the gods. Really depends on your sense of how his mind and emotions
work. Ending up amicably and with no nasty feedback is probably worth a
couple of bucks.

I don't know how eBay works for selling in such a circumstance. With the
item returned without the seller ever receiving it due to the
unreasonable actions of foreign postal people, is it possible to cancel
the sale? Would that allow recovery of fees and/or preclude feedback of
any sort? They would then get their fees on the relisting.

Moose