[OM] Re: girl with digital camera

Subject: [OM] Re: girl with digital camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:39:26 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Wayne Culberson wrote:
>

>>This is a shot I took two days ago, taken not too far from here, from a
>>small ferry boat that crosses between two islands in the Bay of Fundy.
>>
>>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3664368
>>
>>Her style of photography is pretty much the norm for most people now.

My preferred mode, and a necessity with the many new P&Ss without
optical viewfinders. I know others won't, but I find this a step
forward. The viewfinders are so small and inaccurate in framing as to be
esentially useless anyway.

>>A whale surfaced nearby a few times, and dolphins were surfacing around the
>>boat as well. I suspect the girl with her digital was having about as much
>>luck as I was capturing them. Shutter lag, even on my C5050, pretty much
>>makes that impossible. The thought struck me that capturing the decisive
>>moment is pretty much a thing of the past for most amateur photograhers, as
>>most of them will never buy or carry the newer DSLR's. The shift to digital
>>brings some advantages, and some disadvantages I guess.

You are making an assumption that there will be no further technological
improvements. In fact, your assumption is already out of date. A few new
P&S cameras have virtually no shutter lag, or turn on lag, for that
matter. The Fuji F10 is a leader, but others aren't far behind
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf10zoom/page4.asp>. Shutter lag
under 1/2 sec. including focusing, under 5/100 sec. when already
focused. 1.7 sec. off to image captured.

>But it needn't be if she reads and understands her camera's manual.  If
>you go to dpreview.com and do a feature search on cameras you will find
>that, even amongst sub-compact cameras, there are numerous models of
>Pentax, Minolta, Casio, and Kyocera's that offer manual and fixed
>(infinity) focus modes.  I suspect that most of these cameras use the
>same set of ultra compact, folded Pentax optics.

Even my now ancient Can*n S110 has a fixed infinity focus setting.
Selectable by button on the back in an instant.

Moose