[OM] Re: Scanner progress

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner progress
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:35:17 -0300
Just wanted to update on my progress with the Canon 9950F. I know
Moose was asking for info on the FARE performance and I was promising
to have a website up showing some scans.

I haven't gotten the page up yet but I have been busy with the
scanner. Ed Hamrick was extremely fast in providing me with a test
version of Vuescan that would fix the problem I was noticing with
using multi-sampling and infrared dust removal at the same time (it
multi-samples on the IR pass as well which really slows down the scan
time). I don't like commenting too much on test software but this
defnitely did speed up the time. In my test I used 16 samples to
exaggerate the effect and found that the test version was almost 2
mins faster. Hopefully this will be integrated into a future version
of Vuescan.

On thing I did notice with this test was that 16 samples didn't seem
to take longer than 4 samples so I'm going to have to test that to see
how much of a difference it makes in terms of time and quality. With
the 2710 it had to do multiple passes since it didn't have
multi-sampling capabilities and that ended up really slowing down the
scan so I didn't use the feature very much. Where I've been having
some noise problems with Vuescan and the 9950F it may be worth
exploring again since it can do multiple samples in a single pass.

I've also been communicating with Ed about getting the selections for
the film holder to line up properly and he's given me a new test
version to try out but I haven't had the chance to see how that works
yet.

I have to say that I've been incredibly impressed with how quickly Ed
has responded to me. Not only in replying that he'd look into my
suggestion but also in providing me with test versions of Vuescan to
try out. I originally bought Vuescan roughly 5 years ago so the fact
that I get this kind of support and get unlimited upgrades is really
nice. I would defnitely recommend that if you have a scanner that's
supported to give it a try.