[OM] Re: Scanner progress

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner progress
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:35:39 -0300
On 8/14/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Never done that. I use "Lock Exposure"

I don't have "Lock Exposure" so it seems the 9950F can't vary its exposure time.

> I've only used VueScan on individual frames lately. Is it possible to
> see and set the histogram/ W&B points for a single frame preview?
> Setting that for the most contrasty frame and locking exposure should work.

Yes I can get the histogram for whichever frame I have selected,
haven't played with adjusting it much though.

> The real thing that makes for great images right out of the scanner is
> film profiles. Vuescan doesn't do curves, etc. at the scanner level, and
> I'm not sure how useful it would be for batch scans anyway, unless they
> are all under the same lighting and of similar subjects. I've posted
> this before, but it may be worth another look. In each case, the same
> frame is scanned with and without a profile for the film, with no other
> processing <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/VuesProf/index.htm>. See
> the help file section on film profiling. It makes a HUGE difference.

Yes I saw those before. I'm a little reluctant to go this route but it
may be the only way to get great stuff right from the scanner,
especially for negs. That's the other thing to consider here, I'm used
to scanning slides. In Vuescan with my 2710 I'd just set the media
type to image and could use auto levels or white point and get an
excellent scan. With colour neg film you need to account for the
orange mask so I suspect that's where the film profiling really starts
to shine.

> Have you tried setting Color Balance to Neutral? That sets teh black and
> white points to the brightest and darkest value the sanner produces from
> a particular frame. If you use Auto color balance, it sets the white
> point to 95%. One of these might get you to the place you want. I
> generally use neutral setting.

Tried neutral but then the colours go pretty bad. I adjusted my white
point so that auto colour gives me a white point at 100% instead of
clipping it at 95%.

> Remember that you can set up an action to do the same adjustments
> automatically to a whole batch of images.

This is true. But I think it's a little more individual for each frame
to get the best results. It'd be easy enough to play with though. I
could do my levels as an adjustment layer and then I can easily copy
that layer to other images and see how good it gets them. If I could
find a good set of settings for levels that might some time.

I should point out that I'm probably making a lot more out of this
than I should. I was just spoiled by being able to get excellent scans
of slides from my 2710 using Vuescan without the need to do much (or
any) post-scan adjustments (other than cleaning up dust and a bit of
sharpening). The scans I'm getting from the 9950F are really good,
they just need some work in PS. I get great shadow detail and nothing
is clipped.