[OM] Re: Basic (dumb) T-series / Shutter speed question

Subject: [OM] Re: Basic (dumb) T-series / Shutter speed question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:52:48 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:

>When a T32 is put on an OM4/4T in TTL mode with the camera set to Auto, the
>double arrow on the viewfinder display points to a shutter speed of 60.
>
>I know that the camera can sync at 1/60 or slower (ignoring the F280).  My
>question is this:
>

>Does the camera set the shutter speed to 1/60 or is this a reminder that YOU
>should set the speed to 1/60?

If the T32 is on and charged, and the camera is set in AUTO mode, and
the Auto exposure without flash would be 1/60 or slower, the body is set
to a fixed 1/60 shutter speed. If you want to be sure some slight change
in light or a difference in reading between the viewfinder and TTL
metering systems doesn't stop the flash from firing, make sure the
viewfinder shutter speed is no faster than 1/30.

>I looked through the archives and through the SIF FAQ.  The FAQ indicated
>that on an OM2n to shoot at slower than 1/60 you needed to cover the flash
>ready contact otherwise the camera was going to use 1/60.

True for 2n, all 4 series bodies and the OMPC.

>So the other question, assuming that a TTL compatible flash puts the shutter
>to 1/60, which bodies does it do it to?

For 2n and all 4 series bodies and the OMPC.

>If the signal stays lit (the T32 did not fire):
>
>The subject is bright enough and the picture was taken properly by existing
>light.  The flash light was not needed
>
>* In case exposure must be achieved by flash illumination, Turn the aperture
>ring until the meter needle points to 1/30 sec or slower, and shoot.
>
>So does this all mean that the T flash (in TTL mode, camera in auto) is
>"suggesting" to the camera it should set the shutter speed at 1/60 but if
>there is sufficient light at the moment the shutter is tripped, the camera
>might set the shutter speed higher and not trigger flash at all?

See above. If the speed calculated by the TTL esposure system a moment
after you press the release is 1/60 or less, the actual speed will be a
fixed 1/60 and the flash will fire. Otherwise, the flash won't fire and
the actual shutter speed calculated will be used. The 1/30
recommendation is simply to be SURE the flash will fire, if that is your
intent.

Moose