[OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?
From: "Paul Braun" <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:24:14 -0500
On 16 Aug 2005 at 20:53, Ali wrote:

> Rebates are scams if you think about it. Why not just give you the
> discount right away instead of having to CUT UPC codes, etc. I guess the
> manufacturers probably figure people will either forget to send the
> rebate or make a mistake that will make the transaction null and void.

That is correct.  The figures show a remarkable percentage of rebates
that are never even applied for, considering all the paperwork
necessary to do so.

I really hate the ones where you get one $10 rebate from the store, a
second $15 rebate from one division of the mfgr, and a third rebate
from a different division of the mfg.  By the time you've sorted
through three copies of the receipt, three copies of the UPC code,
and three rebate forms, you know you've either screwed something up
or you just decide it's no longer worth losing 3 days of your life
for $50.  And usually one of those will ask for an original receipt
but a photocopy of the upc code, the second will ask for an original
upc code but a photocopy of the receipt, and the third will ask for a
hand-written copy of everything in blood.

> BTW - stay away from Circuit City. They are horrible for rebates.

Yep.  And it's been written up in magazines and newspapers as well.
What's worse is when a rebate actually turns out to be only store
credit, and not cash...

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
cygnus at ctgonline.org
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid and clever." -- David St. Hubbins