[OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:58:06 -0300
On 8/17/05, Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here, even if there is an "instant" rebate (i.e., rebate at time of
> purchase, applied to purchase), I think sales tax is calculated on
> original (pre-rebate) purchase price.  Now that's where I have a
> problem.  I don't expect a post purchase rebate to give me back some of
> the sales tax.  But an instant rebate is different, in my mind.

For sure. Not saying it was different elsewhere, just that it's
annoying. Especially when you get flyers that show something at a
really low price and then you find out that it's after a $100+ rebate
and that you still have to pay taxes on all of that rebate.

For instance, Walt's waiting for a $325 cheque, that's a big chunk of
extra money to be paying taxes on. Of course the government will never
regulate this type of activity because they get the benefit of all
that tax income. If they changed the way it worked and forced sellers
to simply reduce the price then they'd lose that tax income.