[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:49:22 -0300
On 8/15/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sounds like the template for the 9900F, not the 9950F

Hmmm could be. I'll double check that it's picking up the scanner as
the 9950F too. I've gotten a much better hang of adjusting the
cropping so this isn't bothering me much but it might be handy to send
off an email to Ed so that it could be fixed in a later version.

> Have you tried the FARE hardware dust removal? The i-photo reviews
> showed it to work at least as well as the ICE on other brands of scanner
> and much faster. It works very well on the FS4000 in VueScan. It does
> take a second pass for IR on the FS4000, but the time is more than worth
> it vs. spotting. The results are generally so clean that I am surprised
> at running into the occasional spot. I still give the films a blast with
> dust-off, but don't sweat it like with the FS2710.

I tried it on my "worst case scenerio" slide which is horribly
scratched and dusty, seemed to do a good job on most of the dust and
scratches (using the "medium" setting for IR dust and scratch removal
in Vuescan). There are also 2 gouges in this slide (my own fault
unfortunately) which ended up looking worse after applying FARE (they
show up more). But this was my worst case scenerio slide. Another
unexpected improvement was the grain. With my 2710 I had severe grain
in the sky which I thought was due to poor processing. For that scan I
had to select all of the sky (select color range and then some
tweaking by hand), feather the selection (to remove hard edges) and
then apply some gaussian blur in order to cut down the grain. With the
9950F it's apparent that I wasn't seeing the grain but was seeing
grain aliasing due to the way the grain pattern matched up with the
2710's resolution.

If I have time I'll put up some comparisons with different settings
for dust removal when I do up the scanner page I mentioned in one of
my other replies. I think I still have the "before" scan of my "worst
case scenerio" slide as scanned with the 2710 so I can probably show
the grain comparison as well.