[OM] Re: New toy

Subject: [OM] Re: New toy
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:45:30 -0600
 >Unfortunately, I'm not
 >getting good results at all with Vuescan yet. Mostly it seems to be
 >getting things tweaked properly for the cropping on multiple frames.
 >It seems to really throw off the colour adjustments if you catch any
 >of the film holder in any of the selections. If previous experience is
 >any indicator, it'll take a bit of tweaking of the settings before I
 >can get good results out of Vuescan but once it's there it will be
 >well worth the effort.
 >
 >One odd thing I'm noticing is a lot of noise in the shadows when using
 >Vuescan, it's not there with the Canon software. But again, that's
 >like just a setting of mine that's off.

  I had exactly the same problems with Vuescan and my scanner (Canoscan
5000f). It worked vaguely okay as long as I didn't touch _any_ settings
and carefully manually selected the area, but as soon as I tried to
adjust anything it went to pieces -- same problems with the image being
awful if the scanned area wasn't right, and the same noisy dark regions
when it was.

  in the end I just gave up on vuescan and went back to the Canon
scanner for negatives. For flatbed, Vuescan is definitely quicker, but I
never did get it to do negatives well enough to be worth the trouble.

  -- dan