[OM] Re: Cover me, I'm going in......

Subject: [OM] Re: Cover me, I'm going in......
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
> The money I save not buying a digital camera, computer,
> PhotoShop, printer, inks, etc., etc..... will pay for enough
> film, darkroom chemicals and processing to keep me happy for
> a good while.

Hmm.  In looking back at the past couple of years I'd say that
the money I spent on my darkroom allowed me to delay the
purchase of a digital camera as well as prevented the purchase
of a digital camera.

If you are a hobbiest who happens to enjoy B&W, by all means
stay the course.  You'll achieve more satisfying results with
traditional silver-gelatin technology than with any current
digital technology.  Provided your faculties and facilities
don't stand in the way of achieving your goals.

I'm enjoying both worlds.  But I've spent as much on my darkroom
in the past 36 months as I have on two digital cameras.  Even a
low-tech 4-blade easle will set you back $200.  Timers,
enlargers, trays, tanks, lights, chemicals, paper...  It all ads
up.  Oh, and what about water?  I can easily increase our water
bill by $20 during months when I'm very active in the darkroom.

If you are a photographer that truely understands how to
photograph light (as *some* B&W photographers do), you'll find
digital capture a bit dismaying.  You desparately want that
extra stop or two that hides out in the toe and shoulder of your
film.  It just isn't there with digital.

But for color photography, well, digital is a better solution
for me.  Except when I want that perfect Velvia look.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com