[OM] Re: OT Web Design

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Web Design
From: Jonas Otter <jonas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:11:31 +0200
Mike Darling wrote:

> I thought Java scripts/objects ran inside the JVM? The last java virus I
> know of was the 'strange brew' one from around '98, and that was limited in
> what platforms it could affect due to the JVM. If Java was dangerous, then I
> don't think it would have the support that it does, from either Sun or the
> developer community.
>
> Whether Javascript is better than PHP is a different question...
>
> -mike

There seems to be some confusion about Java vs Javascript here. Java can be
used to write applets, which are downloaded and run in the browser and are
supposed to be incapable by design of doing anything evil since they cannot
access anything outside the browser. It is also used a *lot* to create Web
sites, when it is run on the server, in the same way as PHP.

Javascript on the other hand has nothing at all to do with Java, except for the
letters J, a, v and a prepended in that order to the word "script". It is a
scripting language which runs in the browser and is used very extensively in
modern Web sites. It is often used when the server uses Java or PHP to do
things that are better executed in the browser (faster response time because
the page does not have to be reloaded etc). It can be used to exploit
weaknesses in the browsers to do nasty things.

The things that are really evil are VBscript attachments to mail and ActiveX
controls on Web pages. They can do bad things to Windows/Internet
Explorer/Outlook systems. That is why I use Firefox and Thunderbird.

Jonas