[OM] Re: OT Web Design

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Web Design
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:22:39 -0300
On 8/12/05, Mike Darling <miked2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just the opposite here. Java has supplanted C++ in just about every comp sci
> course at my school (it's what the TA's know), and now they're requiring it
> for the EE students as well. I can hold my own in either of those, but I've
> never touched javascript, and really don't see a need to.

Oh I wasn't meaning to imply that Java isn't a popular or growing
technology. Certainly the situation you describe is the same here,
Java is what's taught at the local universities here.

The reason I've never worked with it is because I didn't do a comp sci
degree (I have a BA in Russian Studies). All my programming experience
has been in scripting languages (shell scripts, AWK, Perl, TCL and
PHP).

I was just following up on the point that Javascript has no
relationship to Java. Back in the mid-90's everyone was talking about
Java and it was the hot new technology (whereas now it's gained a
large amount of acceptance but it's no longer the hot new technology
that everyone's talking about). Netscape was developing a scripting
language for Navigator (I think it was version 2.02 that first
included it). The original name for the language was Livescript but
the folks at Netscape decided to change the name to Javascript in
order to associate their new language withe the hot new technology of
the time.

Of course there was no relationship between the 2 technologies. As I
mentioned before, I think Netscape MAY have changed around some of the
Javascript syntax (such as function names) to more closely match Java
syntax. I seem to recall hearing something about that but having only
very minimal experience with Javascript and no experience with Java or
the original Livescript means that I can't really comment on that.