[OM] Re: Leica R Digital Back

Subject: [OM] Re: Leica R Digital Back
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
> My Leica M went from the $270 I paid new in Germany to over
> $2000 and the OM4Ti went to $1200 before it was discontinued.
> There is no way that Olympus would have survived if it
> had brought out the OM cameras and then dropped the price to
> half after a year like the they did with the E-1.

It's true that the rules have somewhat changed.  I think back to
when I bought the OM-2S and the then new prices of it and the
OM-4.  The OM-4 was somewhere around $450-550 depending on the
store.  I gasped with the price rocketed to $650 for the
top-of-the-line OM.  Olympus' raising the price to $1200 near
the end was beyond nuts.  I'm actually surprised that they
didn't try to do the same thing with the E-1.

Raising the price of a camera to "Leica Prices" doesn't make it
a Leica.

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs