[OM] Re: Leica R Digital Back

Subject: [OM] Re: Leica R Digital Back
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 07:45:13 -0700
Actually I was talking about the Leica reflex after the Leicaflex
SL2. I had forgotten the CL. The difference in price with the CL
between the Minolta and Leica versions was not so great as I
remember, similar to the current difference in their versions of the
SL2 maybe 30 percent. The Leica composed of Minolta with rejiggered
light meter, which Minolta probably did for them, was marked up 400
percent. Made me look down at the M3 in my hands and wonder what it
was really worth.

On the D100 they added an internal metal frame, different, taller
body to accommodate sensor and electronics doing away with the wind
motor bits, reengineered the controls on the back for digital, added
LCD. Hardly a rebadged N80 despite keeping the N80 top plate and many
of the N80 parts like the exposure system, shutter, etc. The 14N is
also quite a bit different from the N80 with even a cast metal body.
I understand the Fuji is the closest to the N80 underneath the
textured plastic.

Whether the reengineering cost the additional price is a different
discussion. I think the old paradigm was a relatively cheap DSLR
camera body to get you in the door to sell high profit lenses has
changed even before digital. My Leica M went from the $270 I paid new
in Germany to over $2000 and the OM4Ti went to $1200 before it was
discontinued.There is no way that Olympus would have survived if it
had brought out the OM cameras and then dropped the price to half
after a year like the they did with the E-1. They would have lost
money on each one in contrast to what they did with the E-1 of
continuing to make a profit, even though a reduced one.

But this kind of discussion will drive you crazy if you have a
special interest, whether photography, golf, whatever. Just do it and
don't worry about justification or whether you are being taken.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA