[OM] Re: 3 pics/cedar canoe OT

Subject: [OM] Re: 3 pics/cedar canoe OT
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 19:21:11 -0300
Isn't canvas usually for the rib type constructed canoes? Cedar strip canoes
are usually coated inside and out with fiberglass, or an epoxy, which ends
up about the same appearance. My canoe weighs about 80 - 90 pounds, just a
bit too heavy to carry comfortably by myself, but not too bad for two people
if you don't have to carry it too far.
Probably the best all-round canoes are the Old Town canoes, made in Maine I
think. They are a bit lighter, constucted of some type of polymer which is
more durable, and you don't have to build it. But then they don't look the
same I guess.
Wayne