[OM] Re: Film scanners?

Subject: [OM] Re: Film scanners?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 07:23:30 +0100
I have the Epson 4990. I would have preferred a dedicated film scanner, but
need flatbed as well so this was a reasonable compromise.

The quality is okay; I mainly use it for selecting slides for 9x6" prints, and
the prints are every bit as good when I've scanned them as they are if I send
them off to the lab for scanning. Only if I do the scanning bit it costs 60p
per print rather than about £5. And I have some control over cropping etc. if I
want.

I've done a comparison with Chris Barker on the same slides (35mm) with his
proper scanner (5400 IIRC) and my flatbed. His is undoubtedly better.

I use the Epson software it comes with. ICE seems to work well.

Scans of negatives are very disappointing indeed for some reason. Very grainy
and generally poor quality. I expect it's fixable somehow, but since I don't
really use negatives I haven't put any effort into it.

Hope this helps.

Simon