[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:11:49 -0400
Apples and oranges.  Regardless of the low resolution you don't see the
indiviual pixels on the monitor screen when viewing at about 15".
Neither do you see the individual pixels in the 6x4' image... when
viewed from a much greater distance.

If viewing on a monitor or XGA level projector were the only uses for
the images then you are correct, a 1 MP camera would be adequate.  But
one might just as well ask; why use 35mm film for slide projection when
APS or even 8mm film would probably be sufficient resolution as seen
from your distant slide viewing position.

The answer is quite simple.  Viewing the entire image at XGA levels of
detail is not the only use we make of our images.

Chuck Norcutt