[OM] Re: ilford xp2 super 400 asa or 100 asa?

Subject: [OM] Re: ilford xp2 super 400 asa or 100 asa?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:02:59 +1000

On 18/07/2005, at 7:53 PM, jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> So my question is does anyone see any disadvantages (other than
> speed) to
> running xp2 at 100asa? if not why do ilford recommend 400asa? or am I
> missing somthing...

I remember a test of the chromogenics years ago - XP2, T400CN, Kodak
B&W and Konica. Almost all showed far better results at 1 stop over
(200 ISO) and 2 over but little difference between those two. Perhaps
160ISO is ideal? Improved contrast and tone were mentioned (and
everyone was trying to get better contrast out of them). I think 400
is the highest rating allowed for useable results - just like Delta
3200 is much better at 800ISO but you can go the extra two stops
under if you insist.
AndrewF