[OM] ilford xp2 super 400 asa or 100 asa?

Subject: [OM] ilford xp2 super 400 asa or 100 asa?
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:53:47 +0100 (BST)
hi, just shot my first roll of xp2 super (on am omtti with a olympus 35-70
f3.6 @ f11. All shots where using a triod and self timer. I used the
camera in auto and used the exposure compensation dial to force under and
over exposure. )

I took a photo of a park bech against a dry stone wall with some trees in
the background and a few clouds. I tried 5 different exposures, 2 stops
under 1 stop under, correct 1 stop over and 2 stops over. After scanning
in (5400 dpi, 16bit grey scale using vuescan), adjusting the gamma so they
are all the samish brightness and comparing I would say that the 2 stop
over has the finest detail and least grain of any of the shoots and as
good contrast as the correct exposure. The 2 stops under exposure was very
grainy especially in the shadow areas also no deep blacks at all. Looking
at the photoshop histogram there is less  contrast and more pronounced mid
blacks!

So my question is does anyone see any disadvantages (other than speed) to
running xp2 at 100asa? if not why do ilford recommend 400asa? or am I
missing somthing...

James