[OM] Re: MOving picture cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: MOving picture cameras
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:24:00 -0500

> FWIW, the Bolex is much-revered around campus. I remember in one of
> my early intro classes a few years back the guest lecturer told us,
> "You buy a camera from the Germans or the Swiss. Not the Japanese.
> Not the French. Not the Russians. A Bolex will last 30 or 40 years.
> You'll be putting the leftover pieces of your Japanese camera in a
> cardboard box before you've owned it a year." Eh, you take the good
> with the bad. Some of the people who lectured weren't idiots. ;-)
As I remember it, the B&H was more reliable than the Bolex, which was a bit
fussy. Don't know about Japanese or Russian MP cameras. I suppose the French
ones were like their cars, OK at home, but unreliable on this continent.
After I got out of the business, the hot ticket was the CP16. Always thought
it was ideal.

Bill