[OM] Re: OT Cell-phones and driving on roads OT

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Cell-phones and driving on roads OT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:27:03 -0700
Gary Holder (c) wrote:

>Maybe so, but these figures don't prove it. Acxtually, I'm sure they do not
>rise to "probable".  I agree it is NOT smart to use phone while driving and
>do not  myself.

And here you raise the issue of association vs. causality. It is
entirely possible that personality traits and habitual ways of acting in
the world of those who tend to use cell phones while driving are also
those of people who tend to get into automobile accidents, whether using
cell phones at the time or not. Observation of the world around me
supports this thesis in my mind.

Since observation, experience and common sense lead me to believe that
using a cell phone while driving does lead to less attention available
for driving, I suspect that the actual statistics are an undefined
mixture of at least those two factors, which will never be separable in
any statistically meaningful way.

The common, unstated, assumption of popular media and what appears to be
a large majority of the public that association means causality is
nonetheless logically and statistically unsupportable.

Moose