[OM] Re: Digital B&W vs Film B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital B&W vs Film B&W
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
> The one big advantage with digital though is that you can
> decide after the fact that you want a B&W but then you lose
> the ability to play with WB as you mention.

Depends on your RAW converter. If the converter allows B&W
output, leave it off and do the B&W conversion in an editor
instead. This way you can skew the WB.

> As a completely off the wall thought, how
> about trying a B&W filter while shooting with digital?

I've tried this with very little success.  First of all, you end
up not utilizing enough pixels for the image so the noise level
and resolution go to pot. Secondly the interpolator doesn't know
what to do with entire color array or two with no data.
Thirdly, auto-exposure will be way off and you will run "out of
gammut".  I'm definitely open to suggestions, but I've tried
this for a year and a half now on two different cameras with
disappointing results.

BTW, In looking at the spec sheets for the Kodak sensor in the
E-1 it looks like a deep IR filter will actually illuminate all
three color sensors in the array.

AG

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com