[OM] Re: Digital B&W vs Film B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital B&W vs Film B&W
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:55:21 -0300
On 6/25/05, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not about to give up the OMs quite yet. The Minolta does
> better B&W than the E-1 (converted files), but good old Ilford
> film (regardless of type) trumps them all.
>
> Especially when using filters.

Have to agree with you here AG and it's one of the reasons I'm
sticking with film. Before going away I'd been on a big B&W "kick" for
awhile. While travelling I do tend to shoot much more colour but I did
take some B&W with me too. When I got the contact sheets from those
rolls back I wished I was taking a B&W course right now instead of
colour printing. I'm dying to get some of these negs into an enlarger
and see what they look like as 11x14's (or maybe even bigger) on some
fibre paper. Now that's a look that's tough to beat. Yes, it's also
incredibly time consuming but I find that it also gives me a much
greater sense of satisfaction when looking at the final results.

Oh well, have to wait until the fall when I can take B&W and have
access to the materials or set up my own facilities in the meantime.

For my trip most of the film was Tri-X rated at 320. I'm pretty sure I
exclusively used my 35/2 with it. I also always kept a filter on
front. For Lao and Vietnam this was a yellow filter but when I got to
Cambodia I switched to green to get better definition in all the
foliage around the temples.

The one big advantage with digital though is that you can decide after
the fact that you want a B&W but then you lose the ability to play
with WB as you mention. As a completely off the wall thought, how
about trying a B&W filter while shooting with digital? I'm guessing
you'd have to make sure to tell the camera not to try to balance out
the whites and the shot would be useless as a colour shot but maybe it
could work better for converting. Then again, slapping a red or green
filter on the lens might cause problems where each pixel of the sensor
only "sees" red, green or blue.