[OM] Re: Depth of field calculator

Subject: [OM] Re: Depth of field calculator
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:15:29 +0100
"I'm very partial to the 100/2.8" said AG

You don't say!  Would we ever have known?

Let me sleep on the "meat" of your post AG, it deserves careful thought.

Otherwise, to answer the lament that the DoF calculator I linked to is
Windows only (sorry Bernard, I wasn't thinking), I managed to track back to
how I found the original.

First, there is a useful survey of various DoF tools (including Walt's
recommendation, which I also have used) here:
http://www.bobwheeler.com/photo/Surveys/Survey.pdf

Of those Bob surveyed, Mike Davis' offering seems to be the only one which
allows printing of a DoF chart, with some flexibility over presentation (if
you have Excel).  The spreadsheet is here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001020235206/http://home.sol.no/~gjon/mdofcal2.
xls and there are other tools listed here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001020235206/http://home.sol.no/~gjon/depth.htm

As an aside, although the web archive is a tremendous resource, you have to
know what to look for - and the results of your trawls through the archive
will NOT show up in your browser history (as I have just discovered)

--
Piers