[OM] Re: Fw: EOS/OM Adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: Fw: EOS/OM Adapter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:26:14 -0700
Cc: larsbundesen@xxxxxxxxxx
Lars Bundesen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A few days ago I sent this mail, but for some reason I haven't got any Olympus
>list mails since June 15th, so any answers to my mail has not reached me. (I
>have now subscribed again and hope it works).

Here's part of a response I made a few of days ago to another
enquiry about this.

Q. ..... although I don't know what OM lens would be compatible.

Essentially all of them work, in the sense that they fit the adapter and
you can take pictures with them. The practical limitations are of two
types. Mechanically, you have to be content with stop down metering and
manual focusing. For many uses, that's no problem for me. The other
problem is with metering. The OM lenses seem to fool the metering at
wide apertures. I posted this example before
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>. I've frankly never
noticed a problem except with fast lenses opened up. And as you can see,
even with a f1.4 lens, manual metering worked just fine.

Digital makes it easier too. I can take a shot and check the histogram
and flashing highlights, then correct with -EV if necessary. Not like
film where a missed guess means missed shots or the expense of a lot of
bracketing. You just delete the bad ones. Also, the DSLRs with RAW have
an amazing amount of latitude, much more than slides. I did several
shots inside the little Chapel I posted before, using the OM mount
Vivitar S1 19-35/3.5-4.5. The last two on the gallery are done with this
lens, but I did several others and all the exposures came out fine. I
just mounted the lens with adapter and fired away in Auto, no magic
involved <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Chapel/>.

>Especially I'm interested to know, if any of you have tried it with the
>50/1.4, 100/2 and 350 mm lenses.

Results with 50/1.4 as above. I've used it with 85/2 and 90/2, and it's
fine. Unlike you, I haven't found a great fang on a 350mm. :-)

I wouldn't (and haven't, on my 300D) hesitate to use any OM lens that
struck my fancy on the OM20. It's digital, so you can just delete the
shots that don't work at no cost, so just mount 'em up and try 'em out.

Moose