[OM] Re: Help with IS-3???

Subject: [OM] Re: Help with IS-3???
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:32:54 -0400
There are separate motors for zoom and focus.  IS-3s I see now often have
seized / dead focus motors, while zoom motor is okay.  And don't forget that
IS-3 / 3000 has a 2 speed zoom, so when the zoom button is pressed lightly,
zoom will go slow, press hard, zoom is faster.

In the early 90's I subcontracted IS-3s for Olympus. Sluggish zoom motors
could often be 'fixed' by very carefully introducing a few drops of
degreaser in through one of the motors rear mounting holes. Back then, freon
was still available in spray cans and worked perfectly because if any leaked
out of the motor during cleaning, it would evaporate quickly and not attack
plastic.  Even this time saver requires a lot of disassembly.  Actual
problem may have been the motor manufacturer using too much grease (or wrong
type) in zoom motor.
All of the motors  (focus, zoom, wind / rewind, film take-up) are made by
outside sources. New focus motors may be getting hard to find at this point.

John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington, NY 11743
omtech@xxxxxxxxx  |  www.zuiko.com