[OM] Re: various musings...

Subject: [OM] Re: various musings...
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:38:02 -0700
Alias - in the context of signal processing refers to two different sets of
data which will have the same output if sampled too slow. When you try to
reconstruct the original data you can't tell which of the two original sets
it came from. When an image is made without an aliasing filter, two
different frequencies can get merged into one data value. When you
reconstruct the image you can't normally separate the two frequencies so you
would probably assume the lower frequency was the only desired one and you
would be wrong.

Reducing an image to fewer samples should not create artifacts. You would
just loose data - loose resolution.

Most file compression that is done automatically then reversed is lossless.
No information is lost. A common example is to encode a string of zeroes as
a number telling how many zeroes. No information is lost but no compression
will be achieved if the file being compressed is too random.

-jeff