[OM] While we're talking about OM-1 Foam

Subject: [OM] While we're talking about OM-1 Foam
From: Stephen Walker <stephenpwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:45:37 -0700 (PDT)
I often read the list, but rarely post.  Despite the
fact that i've "gone digital" with a Minolta A-2 and
recently sold my OM-3 (after a CLA by John H.), I
can't stop looking and sometimes buying more OM stuff.

My latest purchase was a black, non-md OM-1 with a
Shoe-1.  I've never owned an OM-1 (my other body is an
OM-2s), but i'm amazed at how quiet the shutter is.

Anyhow, the OM-1 is in great shape.  It was in an
"(n)ever-ready" case so the finish is perfect although
there appears to be some rubber cement seeping out
from underneath the leather (perhaps a re-glue job?).
The wind and shutter mechanisms are smooth as silk and
the film path shows no noticable wear. It even had a
functional mercury battery!

The question is foam degradation.  The back foam is
obviously showing signs of rot and there is a bit of
foam stuck to the corner of the mirror, so i'm
thinking the mirror box foam is also bad -- I'll have
to look closer tommorrow to see.

The viewfinder is very clear -- I don't know if this
could be a model without mirror foam installed, or
maybe i'm just lucky.

Anyhow, I'm trying to decide if I should just order
the back foam and clean off the bit of foam on the
mirror, or spend the $$$ to have it CLA'd.  And
there's a decent chance I might turn around and sell
it anyhow.  But I couldn't resist -- I got the body, a
50mm f1.4, a 75-150 f4 (that looks nearly unused), a
spare focusing screen (1-3), a variety of 49mm
filters, and a weird little tripod for $60 shipped.

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail