[OM] Re: OT-Chicago

Subject: [OM] Re: OT-Chicago
From: "Orin Keplinger" <orink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:03:29 -0500
Jim:

You will like the U-Boat at the Science & Industry Museum. It has just been
restored and located in a new area which just opened up for visits.

If you like the waterfront scene, there are lots of happenings. It sounds
like you will be here during the blues festival in the park on the
lakefront. There is a big photogenic fountain in the same park and you can
walk over to the lake from the fountain. There are boats that give you a
lakefront cruise...some with dinner served. If you are more adventuresome,
American Youth Hostels has cruises on several of its club sailboats. I
imagine you would have to buy a Hostel membership, they are about $25/year
but allow you to stay in 300 or so hostels here in the US and thousands
overseas.
You can call the Chicago Metro Council office or the Chicago Hostel downtown
for rates and times.

Don't forget Navy Pier and its fireworks display...best filmed from the
Aquarium-Planetarium drive area. That same location will also give you good
views of the sailboats out on the lake.If you are willing to walk the hour
or so it will take you to get from Navy Pier to the Planetarium, you can
take the subway from O'Hare air port or some stops along the freeway into
the downtown circle. There you can get transfers for other rapid transit
trains and/or  get bus transfers,  etc. We are pretty compact..kind of like
downtown Sydney.

There are good internet sites for Chicago rapid transit and bus routes with
maps, etc. Morton Arboretum is an excellent outdoor tree and garden
spot...many many acres of pathways with signs describing everything. It is
south of Schaumberg about 25 minutes on the 355/88 freeways. Woodfield Mall
is in Schaumberg. Central Camera and Helix Camera are the big Chicago camera
stores. If you like concert venues, Ravinia is north along the lake and has
its own rapid transit stop. You can sit under a roofed auditorium but they
have speakers set up for all the people who bring picnic stuff and sit on
the grass. Ravinia also has a web site that lists the performers for each
night.

I work in the laboratory of a hospital in Elk Grove Village, just down the
freeway from Schaumburg.

As Ever,
Orin Keplinger
orink@xxxxxxx