[OM] Re: Ree: Re: An English apology !

Subject: [OM] Re: Ree: Re: An English apology !
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:39:33 -0500
At 10:30 PM 6/8/2005, Larry Halpert wrote:
[enormous snip]

Being the ultra-conservative that I am . . .
still using film . . .
Plus-X Pan no less . . .
wishing it were the original Verichrome . . .
like the true Luddite I am . . .

I just got back some B&W's from my cousin's wedding, the first wedding in a
long time for which I was a *guest* and not the official
photographer.  Nevertheless, I loaded up two of my cameras with Plus-X Pan
to see if I could create a few photographs for them of anything interesting
that might happen near me at the event with a 1930's to 1950's feel to
them.  No filters were used and the flash used for the indoors was a Metz
G16 handle with Metz 40 MZ-3i on top and the Metz white bounce card made
for the flash to slightly soften the light from it in an effort to emulate
more closely the area of a Press 25 flashbulb bowl reflector and the slight
diffusion they provided.

Sorry there aren't any forward/back arrows on these . . . and they are
flatbed scans of eight of the 4x6 proofs that are fairly representative of
the rest . . . pretty close to the overall character of the tonality in the
proofs, especially in the mid-tones . . . but lost a little detail during
flatbed scanning in the brightest highlights and deepest
shadows.  Impressions about how close this came to emulating the character
of B&W's from 50 years ago are welcome . . . along with any other comments
about them.

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGallDetail.asp?photoID=950018
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGallDetail.asp?photoID=950024
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGallDetail.asp?photoID=950019