[OM] Re: [OT]Pop quiz

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]Pop quiz
From: Chris Savage <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:18:25 +0100
Piers Hemy wrote:

>This page:
>http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?acronym=usm&String=exact&page=1
>provides no less than 29 possibilities, of which Unsharp Masking is only
>25th.  Ultrasonic Motor is 6th, once place below Ultrasonic Meter.

Now if only I'd revised Canon's alphabet soup of product names. That one
was my guess but I'd never known what it stands for until I got home and
looked it up.

>  In
>second place in Koh Samui in Thailand (yes, you read that right, just the
>same as YYZ is Toronto). But in first place, proving that context is
>everything when answerinf questions like this is ...
>
>Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine (band)

Wow. Haven't heard of them since my mercifully brief sojourn in New
Cross back when they were the big thing sarf of vuh rivva.

>I claim my C&G in Photography.

Ha! If only. That would get you 1% towards the exam which only counts as
part credit for one of the five modules you need to get the bit of paper.

So does anyone habitually call unsharp mask USM? I haven't seen this and
can't see the point of contracting a three syllable name to a three
syllable abbreviation. Next it will be the USM mask....

Reminds me of my days working for Sun Microsystems where five new
acronyms would appear every day without any reference to their
derivation or context.