[OM] Re: OT: Any thoughts on Samsung/Schneider-Kreuznach

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Any thoughts on Samsung/Schneider-Kreuznach
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:54:31 -0700
Der Eiserne Reiter wrote:

>I was wondering what the group thinks about this:
>
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05060202samsung_pro815.asp#press

If it does everything they say, as well as they say, it will be
wonderful. There is all too often little direct relationship between
such announcement claims and actual performance.

Note they say "Employing an exclusive low-noise processing algorithm,
the Pro815 ensures superb image quality with low noise, even at ISO
800." Note they don't say it has a low noise sensor. All noise reduction
has at least some effect on resolution and contrast. With an apparently
standard 8mp 2/3" sensor, the liklihood of really great image
performance at higher isos is pretty low.

I've read all too many reviews lately, so I don't remember the camera,
but dpreview had one where the apparent noise hardly varied at all as
iso increased, but picture detail and clarity went down with each
increase in iso, to the extent that the higher isos were pretty useless
- not noisy, just fuzzy.

Moose