[OM] Re: #173

Subject: [OM] Re: #173
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:32:03 -0700
GeeBee wrote:

>Hi Chuck,
>
>Thanks. Just happenstance. I thought Moose (thanks Moose) improved it a
>little but I noted he had a much larger file size. I reworked #171 from
>scratch but the only way I could hang on to a little more sharpness was to
>use less compression for the jpg so I went with the bigger file.

Ah, now I see. Looking at some shots on your web site, it looks like you
try to keep file size under 100k. The problem is that color requires 3
bytes of data for each pixel, while B/W requires only one. So
compressing a color image to the same size as a B/W of the same pixel
dimensions is in effect much greater compression. Too much compression
loses detail. Nice way to make B/W always look sharper. {;-)

Moose