[OM] Apertures, where is f22 ?

Subject: [OM] Apertures, where is f22 ?
From: Der Eiserne Reiter <ferider@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:53:37 -0700 (PDT)
List,

let me offer a new technical subject:

I have often wondered why some lenses in the 28-50mm focal range do
not offer an additional f stop. I understand that is is technically
difficult to provide both wide and small apertures, and good bokeh,
but for landscape photography, f22 is very helpful sometimes.

Why do some lenses stop at f16 and others continue to f22 ? Do other
people care about f22 ? For instance, the 50/3.5 features f22, while
the 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 do not.  Technically it is feasible to get f22 with
a wider lens, as was demonstrated by C*non in the 50s with their
50/1.2 lens. Why do the 35/2.8, 28/3.5 and 28/2 not have f22 ?

Just wondering,

Roland.

PS: forgive my English, it's my third language. As our Kahlifonian governor
says:
    Q: isn't my English very good - A: yes it isn't ...

FeRider (R.)

Discover Yahoo!