[OM] Re: Source and price range for adapter to use OM lenses on EOS?

Subject: [OM] Re: Source and price range for adapter to use OM lenses on EOS?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 22:18:42 -0700
ScottGee1 wrote:

>Chuck, I'm assuming "the necessary stop-down pin" refers to the need
>to do stop down metering when using OM lenses on an EOS body.  And
>that it's inconvenient to have to do so by finger - correct?
>
>That being the case, I assume normal workflow is:
>
>1.  Focus/compose at full aperture;

Sure, except in good light with some subjects it isn't always necessary
to work at full aperture. With other subjects or less light, it's
necessary to open up all the way. For example, with the very shallow DOF
of macro, I did all the"micro landscapes" at the beginning of this
gallery at shooting aperture and hit my focus points. Like Chuck and
others, I did some testing before buying the camera and these results
with a D60 confirmed for me that OM lenses work just fine on a DSLR
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/D60/index.htm>.

>2.  Set desired aperture;

Yup

>3.  Push pin to stop down;

Skip this step, you already did it in step 2. As Chuck said, there is no
pin pushing. You just turn the aperture ring and the aperture opens and
closes.

>4.  Meter manually - or does AV provide correct shutter speed as well?

Meter either in Manual or Aperture Preferred mode. Both work fine with
all but fast lenses at wide apertures and Manual works with pretty much
anything I've tried. I've posted this test of the fastest Zuiko I own a
couple of times in the last couple of days, but in case you missed it:
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>

>5.  Press shutter and make OM magic!

Indeed!

>6.  Push pin again to return to full aperture.

No pin, simply rotate aperture ring. You learn quickly to count clicks
of the ring. Old preset lenses are really suited to this method. You set
one ring to the desired shooting aperture, focus, then rotate the
aperture ring until it stops and shoot. But that's pre OM.

Moose