[OM] Re: Anybody going to Supercomm in Chicago?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody going to Supercomm in Chicago?
From: "Paul Braun" <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:08:43 -0500
On 1 Jun 2005 at 20:56, AG Schnozz wrote:

> Personally, I don't get too excited about fiber splice kits and
> Nortel phone switches.

Ewwww.  Ick.
AAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry.  My office used to use an easy-to-configure, powerful, flexible
Avaya (Lucent) system, and when the lease was up, the home office
(we had since merged with another firm, so the new home office
wasn't the old home office) made the decision that we were going to
go with Nortel.  I had no say in the matter.  I could have told them
we tried NorHell before the Avaya and dumped it like a hot rock
because it sucked.  But do you think they'd ask me??  Nooooo....
I'm only the IT guy for the office.

And then our sales rep flat-out lied to me in the pre-install meeting
when she told me the changeover would be seamless and nobody
would notice the difference.  Right.  That would explain the daily
phone calls about how to do something that we used to be able to
do but couldn't any more.  That went on for two months.  Regional
sales manager finally told me, "We never said it would replace the
Avaya system.  That was a pbx.  This is a simple switch."  Nice.
Two bald-faced lies in a row.

Plus, instead of a nice Unix terminal that allowed me to creat a new
user and voicemail box in roughly 40 seconds, I now have to step
through cryptic menus and feature codes on a two-line LCD display
on my phone, and to set up a new user now takes several minutes if
I'm lucky and don't accidentally hit the "release" button halfway
through...

And now, the firm that sold us this piece of *&(#$ just sent out a
letter saying that as of the end of June, they are no longer going to
sell or support the hardware -- they're going to concentrate on their
strength, which they somehow mistakenly believe is customer
service.  And they "are not in a position to recommend any
replacement service techs".  There's a warm fuzzy for you.

Sorry.  The "N" word hit the wrong hot button.

OM Content:  Next week, when my wife and I are in Vegas, I'm
actually bringing the OM4ti in addition to the usual Stylii.... this time,
I'm allowing myself time to be creative and use the OM4 to it's
advantage.

Paul Braun  WD9GCO
cygnus at ctgonline.org
Valparaiso, IN

"Enjoy every sandwich." -- Warren Zevon

"At Microsoft, Quality is job, oh, I dunno, maybe 7 or 8?"