[OM] Re: 7519772104 reasonable 40f2

Subject: [OM] Re: 7519772104 reasonable 40f2
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:27:16 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 7:57 PM

> Well, 40mm (or 42mm) used to be pretty much a standard for Oly 35
> compacts.  I particularly like them better than the 40mm.  We've gotten
> used to 50mm as a "standard", for sure, but that little bit of extra
> width, with the completely natural and unobtrusive perspective, makes a
> helluva difference to ME.  If I could afford the Zuiko OM pancake, I'd
> have at least one.  If Maitani were still at the helm, I'd be emailing
> him every day for a 40/f1.2.  I'm sure no one else at Olympus today
> would listen.
>
> Earl

The 35RC with it's 42mm lens is still my favorite camera. I shot several
rolls of slides with mine last month in Bolivia. But I don't know as you
really see in the 40mm range with one, as the viewfinder (guidelines) are
less than what the lens sees.

If one really sees significantly better in 40mm range, rather than in 35mm
or 50mm, with an OM, then I suppose you could always put the much cheaper
35/2.8 on an OM10, and you probably would be actually seeing in about 40mm.
Given this list, I suppose someone will figure it out accurately :-) I used
my RC and OM10 so long before I found this list and subsequent single digit
OM's, that I've never learned to see that accurately. If I really have to
have 40mm rather than 35mm or 50mm, I suppose I could pick from one of
several zooms I have. But I know, it wouldn't be f2.

The whole digital thing pretty well renders accurate framing obsolete
anyways. Just shoot enough, and crop it to where you want it. Everybody here
probably already knows perspective doesn't change until you take a step
forwards or backwards. When we're talking accurate framing, we're pretty
well talking slides aren't we?

Wayne