[OM] Re: Epson 1800 - B&W quality?

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson 1800 - B&W quality?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:48:35 -0700
Paul Braun wrote:

>OK, so you guys have convinced me to take the plunge into digital printing -
>- I'll probably pick one of the 1800's up in the next  couple of months.  I've
>got access to a Nikon slide/film scanner, so I'll give it a shot.
>
>However, I haven't seen any reports on how this thing prints with B&W
>negs.  Do I still need to set up a darkroom for that, or can I just develop my
>own film and then scan and print to the Epson with satisfactory results?

To date, the only inkjet solutions that have fully satisfied serious B&W
printers involve custom ink sets with various desnities of gray.

InkJets have continued to improve in the B&W area. For a useful
discussion and examples, take a look at the photo-i review of the Epson
R800, the narrow carriage version of the R1800. Unfortunately, some of
his reviews don't seem to have separate page URLs, so you have to click
on reviews, then the R800. Page 6 is the one about B&W, but you probably
want to read it all if seriously considering the R1800
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/>.

The new replacements for the 2200, et. al. have been announced and
Vincent again seems to be the first to post useful info about it. Part
of what he says is:

"I will be doing a mega test on the R2400 as soon as it arrives in the
UK, but for the time being all I can say is that if the 2100 and R1800
printers blew you away then you have seen nothing yet. I have always
said that for monochrome work the HP 7960, 8450 and 8750 printers leave
the competition standing - well it looks as if everything is set to
change. Epson has cracked the neutrality issue and metamerism with the
introduction of UltraChrome K3 inks. HP is going to have to put their
thinking caps on again."

Having just fully reviewed the R800, he should be well able to tell the
differences. The full post is here
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/May05/Epson%202400.htm>.

Moose

>I just like the idea of being able to print my own color shots without all
>that
>equipment, chemicals and associated learning curve.

OH YEAH! Many years ago, I decided the cost, space and other commitments
of a color darkroom made it impractical for me. The digital darkroom has
completely reversed that. To quote the Schnozz yesterday.

"I NEVER got an Ilfochrome as good as what I'm getting from my
Canon.  "The good old days" weren't as good as we think they were."

I'm not sure I would go quite that far. I have some Ilfochromes printed by a
friend of his images of petroglyphs that are stunning. I don't think I could do
better with my 1270, but I think I could come very close, maybe even do as well
- if I had the slides, that is. Of course, digital printing couldn't have even
come close enough to be anything but laughable years ago when he was already
doing lots of work.

Moose