[OM] Re: File recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: File recovery
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 16:02:41 -0400
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> I had always heard that deleting meant removing the first character of the
> filename.  It doesn't sound quite like that is the same as what you are
> describing.

Actually, you are correct.  It was a long time ago.  I just looked it up
and see that the first character of the file name was replaced with hex
'E5' to indicate deletion.  However, regardless of whether it's a bit or
a byte a disk cluster is the minimum amount of data that can be read or
written.  If memory serves me well (heh, heh) the cluster size for a 256
MB CF card would be 8 KB.  So, replacing that single byte in the name
means reading and rewriting an 8 KB block of directory information.

> Up to now, I have tended just to use Windows Explorer to upload files from
> the CF card to the HD.  I usually block them and then go to the Edit menu
> and select "Move to Folder."  This then leaves no files on the CF card, so
> obviously Windows is deleting the files on the CF card.
>
> I have the option of selecting "Copy to Folder" in Win Explorer.  I have
> often wondered if it wouldn't be better to use this and then reformat the
> CF card in the camera, but I've never done it because it seemed like a
> hassle.  Is that what you do?

Actually, I use DownLoader Pro to copy images from the CF card to the
hard drive. <http://www.breezesys.com/Downloader/index.htm>
It's hard to explain to anybody why you need a tool to assist with
downloading of images when you could use Windows Explorer.  Try it,
you'll like it.  You can download a free 30 day trial version.  But,
yes.  If I were to use Windows Explorer or any other method I would only
do a copy.  The computer is never allowed to write back to the CF card
and the images on the card are never deleted until they have to be.
They are another form of short term backup.

Chuck Norcutt