[OM] Re: File recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: File recovery
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 21:29:19 -0500
The Lexar recovery software did a great job.  Got everything back and
anything else that hadn't been written over in the meantime.

At 06:26 PM 5/7/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>First, I would advise you in the future to never have your computer
>write back to the CF card.  Supposedly it's logically a standard FAT or
>FAT-32 disk but I've heard too many stories of incompatibilty with the
>camera.  Perhaps it's nothing but the directory structure that the
>camera expects but I prefer to stay away.

I think I'll stay away henceforth as well.

But, yes, it sounds like you haven't tried it, and in fact it has never
been a problem to write to the CF card, and that certainly wasn't the issue
in this case (unless attempting to delete is a form of writing -- not being
a smart aleck, since I think deleting is really writing a filename
change?).  But if this is bad practice, I blame Ag Schozz entirely, since
he put me on to the practice of doing all sorts of things in Viewer prior
to transfer to the hard disk -- no doubt to punish me for getting my OM
adapter before he did.  My revenge will be calculated and subtle. >:^P

(OK, just kidding, Ken.)

>All that said, it would appear that you've located a bug in Olympus
>Viewer.  Hard to say what it actually did except that it wrote some
>trash to the CF card somewhere.  I think it's highly unlikey that it
>actually erased all the images, however.

All's well that ends well.  First time through the software located all my
.jpgs.  I had to go to preferences and change them to get it to find my
ORFs during a second pass.

Thanks again, Chuck.

Joel W.