[OM] Re: Simple question about 'clear' screens

Subject: [OM] Re: Simple question about 'clear' screens
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 22:13:36 +0100
ScottGee1 wrote:

> So, the Olympus 'clear' screens are truly that - clear?  And therefore
> do not offer any 'focus-ability'?

I think Piers has gone into 1-11 and 1-12 in some detail, and how to
focus them -- not that I've personally ever had the need nor worked out
how with these screens.

> I'm trying to square this with the eSIF which, for screens 1-5, 1-6
and
> 1-7 says "Focusing is done on the central microprism spot."  And, "The
lack
> of a matte surface means depth-of-field effects cannot be
ascertained."

There's no conflict here. With those screens there is no ground glass
area; you *have* to use the central focussing aid because the clear bit
surrounding it will not help you to focus at all. Whereas with a
"normal" screen (1-13, for example) you use the whole area, but the
focussing aid in the middle helps you get the most accuracy.

> 1-9 and 1-12 have *no* focusing aids but can somehow be focused in
conjunction
> with an endoscope and microscope respectively - how the heck does that
work?

I think Piers went into the 1-12, though (as I say) I've never had to
use one myself. I don't think the 1-9 can be focussed with an OM body.

Regards,

Simon