[OM] Re: Simple question about 'clear' screens

Subject: [OM] Re: Simple question about 'clear' screens
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:26:56 +0100
ScottGee1 asked:

> From the archives my understanding is that one cannot focus with the
clear
> area, but rather the focusing aid is used to focus - correct?

The focussing aid (split prism / microprism) is not *needed* to focus,
but it can be helpful. However, without anything (ground glass or
focussing aid), focussing is impossible.

What you are doing when you focus, is to get the image on the focussing
screen sharp and in focus. If it's clear glass you can't see the image
on the focussing screen as there isn't one; hence it needs to be at
least part ground glass with or without a focussing aid.

The focussing screen is at the same distance from the subject as the
film will be when it's exposed to the light. Hence you are making sure
the image, when it's projected onto the film, will be in focus.

To the eye, due to the various lenses, the focussing screen appears to
the eye to be about 6 foot away, though in reality it is but an inch or
so away. (It's not possible for normal humans to focus down to an inch!)

> <snip> Also, how much brighter/clearer are the clear screens than a
comparable
> 1 series matte screen?  2 series?

I think a stop or so. But, IMHO, they are almost impossible to use
except for specific purposes. Unless you have a specific purpose in
mind, I would recommend a ground glass screen of some description, with
a focussing aid. Some photographers like not to have the focussing aid
(as per 1-4 or 2-4) but personally I think they make life hard work.

Regards,

Simon