[OM] Re: Event shooting - postmortem - another one, the focus contest

Subject: [OM] Re: Event shooting - postmortem - another one, the focus contest
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
> With the A1, if you're shooting in the wide to normal range
> and have enough light to shoot at f/8, the only thing the
> autofocus can do is screw it up by focusing in the wrong
> place.  Very large prints could make the tolerances tighter...

If you look at the DOF tables on my website for the A1, you'll
see how this is quite true.  There are other advantages too of
keeping the unit on manual focus in these conditions. It greatly
shortens shutter response time.  BTW, the tables are correct for
any 2/3" sensor equipped camera.

> Schnozz apparently shot a lot of stuff wide open at high ISO.
> That's not typical for what I do and would be more
> restrictive on DOF.

My application is similar/identical to theatre, concerts, and
any other stage situation where you have restricted shooting
locations. I'd like to have had one more stop of light.

> Having the background readily visible but
> subdued at 1 stop less than the subject makes a much better
> flash picture than one that simply goes black in the
> background.

Cave dweller weddings.

AG