[OM] Re: More on lens resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: More on lens resolution
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:21:31 -0600
AG Schnozz wrote:
> I think it takes a minimum of 2 pixels to define a line's edge.
> However, the anti-aliasing filter restricts ultimate resolution
> to maybe four or five pixels in actual practice. I have yet to
> see any image on DPREVIEW from any camera that had a sharp
> one-pixel edge.  Please point me to one if you know of it.

 To be fair, you're never going to get a sharp one-pixel edge where the pixel
values are 111110000, because that requires perfect vertical alignment of the
feature with the camera, and more importantly, it requires you to have placed
that feature exactly between two pixels. (assuming, that is, that the camera
isn't getting in the way in some other manner).

 It's not that difficult to get pictures where there's the change from one
colour to the next changes over a single-pixel-wide area, it's just that the
single-pixel-wide area probably won't be aligned exactly right to get the
effect you're looking for.

 -- dan