[OM] Re: More on lens resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: More on lens resolution
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
> The E-1 has 147 pixels/mm, the E-300 has 188 pixels/mm and the
>  Does the E-300's 188 pixels/mm translate into 94 line
> pairs/mm?  Do I only need a lens of 78 lines/mm resolving
> power to make full use of the 156 lines/mm on the E-1...

I think it takes a minimum of 2 pixels to define a line's edge.
However, the anti-aliasing filter restricts ultimate resolution
to maybe four or five pixels in actual practice. I have yet to
see any image on DPREVIEW from any camera that had a sharp
one-pixel edge.  Please point me to one if you know of it.

Theoretical and practical are two different things.

> Oly claims that the 4/3 system lenses have double the
> resolution of 35mm lenses.

Possibly true. However in actual usage, I'm finding that my
lowly 100/2.8 outperforms the 14-54. In a couple of shots I've
hit what appears to be the limit with the AA filter!

> Is this necessary for today's cameras or only for the
> future 4/3 sensors which may be expected to hit 10-12 MP?

Think of the higher MP sensors as a finer-grained film. More
pixels doesn't necessarily improve resolution, but it will
improve the transitions.

AG

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide