[OM] Re: CDs, was Question on DVDs

Subject: [OM] Re: CDs, was Question on DVDs
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 02:10:21 -0700
Back when I used a PC I used to use a really handy program called CD-R
Identifier. It's still around. From its description:

***
CD-R Identifier is a very handy tool which is able to read the ATIP (or
Pre-Groove) from any CD-R. The ATIP is used to store important
characteristics of the CD-R itself (like Nominal Capacity, Disc
Manufacturer & Used Dye-type).

Keep in mind that not all CD-Writers are able to read the ATIP. Most
CD-Writers from HP, Mitsumi, Philips, Plextor, Sony & Yamaha are able.
The Teac CD-R55S is not!
***

In my limited experience, the only CD-Rs I've consistently heard to
have tested very well are Taiyo Yudens. They are frequently branded as
Imation or Sony or Philips, but unless you keep up on who's using what
this week there's almost no way to know that you're always getting
Taiyo Yuden blanks, so I just buy no-name Taiyo Yudens from American
Digital.

http://www.american-digital.com/prodsite/category.asp?c=93

I see they're currently getting $20 for a spindle of 50. Now DVD media
is another story, but everything I've read says that Taiyo Yuden is
reliable so far with blank DVDs. I'm no expert; just offering up what
I've heard, read and experienced. YMMV. BTW, I'm not affiliated with
Taiyo Yuden or American Digital; I've just had good results with both.